PORTSMOUTH & DISTRICT WOMEN`S BOWLING ASSOCIATION  
                         
  Minutes of Officers Meeting  
  Monday, 22nd January 2018  
                         
  Present   Name   Office   Present   Name   Office  
  P   Gillian May   President Acting Secretary League Secretary   P   Brenda Clay   Competition Secretary  
  P   Jemima Meaden   Vice President   P   Lesley Howell   Match Secretary  
  P   Pauline Olden   Treasurer   A   Daphne Nicholls   Co-opted Member  
                         
  1   President                  
      President Gill opened the meeting and welcomed Jemima to the Committee  
  2   Apologies                  
      Apologies received from Daphne.  
  3   Minutes of Previous Meeting  
      Minutes of meeting held on 20th November 2017 were accepted as a true record  
      Proposed by: Pauline Olden  
      Seconded by: Brenda Clay  
  4   Matters arising from the Previous Minutes  
      Item 4: Leigh Park is assisting Clanfield to set up their club and they have enquired if they could join the P&D WBA for league and competitions in 2019. Gill assured them they would be welcome.  
      Item 12: The present position of only six members on the Committee is untenable and consideration was given to co-opting a member to bring the numbers to a meaningful level. Cyndy Goldacre will be starting her three year Presidency tenure in 2019 and it was agreed that Gill should invite her to join the Committee this year.  
  5   Secretary`s Report  
      5.1 Luncheon: To ensure the maximum capacity of 130 is fairly distributed 10 placeds will be allocated to the Committee and guests, and the remaining 120 designated to the clubs, with priority being given to the league and competition winners - a waiting list wil be established.  
      5.2 Relocation of Anniversary Day: The venue was confirmed as Purbrook Heath. The hire fee of 100 will be paid on the day. College Park has left the door open should we wish to return there.  
      5.3 One Day Events:  
      5.3.1 Gill invited Pat`s husband to give a trophy to the winner of the Pat Duckworth Memorial Day - he said he was honoured to be asked and will attend the event. Formats for the day were discussed and it was agreed that we would consider using the Medley (Fours and Pairs) game if it can be organised for large numbers - it is anticipated this event will be well attended.  
      5.3.2 Gill said she would like to do another one day event on Friday 27th July if a green was available. Pauline said Lee on Solent is interested to do one and will talk to their Committee.  
      5.4 Revision of officers duties: The job descriptions of the Officers` posts were reviewed and the following agreed -  
      President - Add: 6 Assist the Competition Secretary with the competition draws.  
      Add: 7 Assist the Match Secretary with player selection - friendlies.  
      Secretary - 4 Delete the word Treasurer and insert President.  
      6 After `Secretary - insert the words `and President`.  
      Treasurer - Remove 5 - Book the coaches for away friendly matches.  
      Remove 6 - Arrange and liaise with the chosen venue for the P&D WBA luncheon.  
      Match Secretary - 4 - add the words `to include the President and Vice President`.  
      Add 5 - `Book the coaches for away friendly matches`  
      5.5 Visits by P&D WBA Officers to Clubs` spring meeting: Concerned that some clubs do not get information out to their ladies Gill asked the Committee if there would be merit in the Officers attending their spring meetings to impart information regarding forthcoming events, etc., and give an insight to the P&D WBA. The committee agreed it would be worthwhile and Gill will email the Captains to see if they wish to take advantage of the offer.  
      5.6 Scorecards: As the Committee had agreed the layout of the new scorecard Gill arranged for 3000 to be printed at a cost of 135. They will come into use in 2019.  
      5.7 Compilation of a forms file for each Club: Gill asked the committee if it would be helpful for Club Secretaries to have a file containing all the requisite forms relating to P&D WBA matters - to retain as a guide. The committee ageed. Gill will put them together.  
      5.8 Gill has compiled a complete hard copy relating to the administration conducted by the Secretary. The same information together with the duties of the League Secretary, P&D WBA website and Archive have been placed on a memory stick and uploaded onto Brenda`s computer. Gill said it is essential that we store each other`s information on our computers in case of emergencies. Pauline will also have a copy.  
  6   Treasurer`s Report  
      6.1 Pauline circulated the latest balance sheet and confirmed that an online bank account was being set up. A number of clubs are already banking online while others are considering it.  
  7   League Secretary`s Report  
      The draws for the leagues have been done and placed on the website. 7 teams are entered in the D League, but clubs have indicated they may not always be in a position to field eight players. This will be monitored.  
  8   Competition Secretary`s Report  
      8.1 The competition draws have been carried out, circulated and placed on the website.  
      8.2 Brenda wants the clubs to send hard copies of their competition entries with the cheques in future, as it is expensive to print their entry forms when received by email. She will take this to the Executive meeting in March.  
  9   Match Secretary`s Report  
      9.1 Pauline has made enquiries of I-Can-Go who have 8-15-16 seater vehicles. This firm uses volunteer drivers and charges 1.25 per mile. Lucketts have 35 and 49 seater coaches, charging 625 and 695 (based on the trip to Swindon). Information is awaited from Jacobs.  
      9.2 Pauline will supply the spider for all P&D WBA events.  
      9.3 The P&D men v ladies game on Saturday 23rd June will now be played at Pembroke Gardens.  
      9.4 Lesley is still processing the outstanding friendly, albeit there is some difficulty fitting it in, and will furnish the clubs with details of the friendly at Pelhams on 23rd April.  
      9.5 Swindon & District are touring in this area between 13th & 16th July and are looking for a venue. Jemima will ask if the greens at Milton Park would be available.  
  10   Any Other Business  
      10.1 Crofton have asked for permission to wear club shirts, albeit they will not be delivered until after the league and competitions have started. It was agreed they could wear their shirts as soon as they are received.  
      10.2 The Rosemary Corney Shield for the Inter-Club Triples winners was dropped a few years ago because it was assumed it was `full up`. In light of the very sad news that Rosemary is terminally ill Brenda and Gill made the decision to bring the shield back into its proper use it has now been updated with the winners involved in the `missing` years. The Committee agreed with the decision. The Jean Ashdown Trophy will be presented to the runners up.  
      Following a general discussion its was agreed the Committee should seek to co-opt members from different clubs each year to enable them to be aware of what the P&D committee does. Their input from club level would also be advantageous to the committee.  
      10.3 Gosport will be playing their league matches and competitions on grass.  
      10.4 Gill said she was concerned that if Purbrook`s green is not up to scratch for the finals in September she may have to ask another club to host them. The green was in a very poor state at the end of season last year and the firm responsible for its maintenance has been advised of the importance of this year.  
  12   Date of Next Meeting              
      Monday 5th March 2018 at 10am  
                         
                         
                         
  PORTMOUTH & DISTRICT WOMEN`S BOWLING ASSOCIATION  
                         
  Minutes of Officers Meeting  
  Monday, 27th February 2018  
                         
  Present   Name   Office   Present   Name   Office  
  P   Gillian May   President Acting Secretary League Secretary   P   Brenda Clay   Competition Secretary  
  P   Jemima Meaden   Vice President   P   Lesley Howell   Match Secretary  
  P   Pauline Olden   Treasurer   A   Daphne Nicholls   Co-opted Member  
  P   Cyndy Goldacre   Co-oped Member              
                         
  1   President                  
      President Gill opened the meeting and welcomed Cyndy to the Committee  
  2   Apologies                  
      No apologies were received  
  3   Minutes of Previous Meeting  
      Minutes of meeting held on 20th November 2017 were accepted as a true record  
      Proposed by: Pauline Olden  
      Seconded By: Lesley Howell  
  4   Matters arising from the Previous Minutes  
      Item 4: There is no further development with regard to Clanfield Bowling Club. Jemima pointed out that some of the P&D Men were not happy to include Clanfield in the men`s P&D Leagues.  
  5   Secretary`s Report  
      5.1 Luncheon: Gill outlined the latest developments with regarding to the luncheon a new table plan has been established (attached) which allows for a minimum of 132 guests, but a maximum of 136/7 may be catered for. The Committee and guests will sit at Table 11; trophies displayed as last year and the raffle set out in the bar. Trophy boxes will be placed under the recipients` tables prior to the luncheon. The hotel will display signs for the toilets and small dining room the latter will also be available for photographs to be taken after the event. Gill asked if two tea trollies could be located to transport the trophies to the President`s table. Any change of venue in the future must be made by the Committee.  
      5.2 Pat Duckworth Memorial Day: Gill said Pembroke Gardens will provide food to purchase on the day. A drive for 96 ladies has been arranged and the event will be attended by Bowls Hants President Julie and Bowls England Senior Vice President Hazel if she is available. The Committee was shown the trophy purchased by Pat`s husband who will present it at the end of the afternoon.  
      5.3 One Day event 27th July 2018: No decision by Lee on Solent yet, but their green is getting very booked up. We should look for another venue.  
      5.4 President`s Fund  
      5.4.1 Gill proposed that the 400 honourarium given by the P&D WBA to incoming Presidents shuld be incresed to 500 to reflect price increases. The proposal was seconded by Brenda and all agreed. The increase will take effect from 2019.  
      5.4.2 Gill proposed that the per capita club contribution to the President`s Fund should be raised to 1. An increase of 40p. Pauline seconded the motion and all agreed. The increase will take effect from 2019 and the affiliation form amended on the website.  
      5.4.3 The County approach of supplying coasters with the Bowls Hants Crest thereon for rink prizes was considered but no decision was made as to whether P&D WBA should do the same.  
  6   Treasurer`s Report  
      6.1 Pauline circulated the latest balance sheet and confirmed that an online bank account has now been set up. Gill thanked her for the hard work that was involved.  
  7   League Secretary`s Report  
      7.1 Gill said that since the men`s P&D leagues matches were switched to Thursdays a few years clubs are finding it increasingly difficult to juggle their greens to accommodate games when the men and ladies play at home on the same day. It was suggested that the P&D WBA should consider designating a particular day of the week as its league day as opposed to alternating Tuesdays and Thursday each week. The Committee felt it was a good idea and thought that Monday may be the preferable day. Pauline had spoken to ladies at Lee on Solent who supported the proposal and it was agreed that Gill should appraise the Executive Meeting with the proposal and ask the Captains to speak with their ladies. Gill has spoken to Bowls Hants President Julie who confirmed it would not impinge on County matters in any way.  
      7.2 Clubs were asked if they would like a Committee member to attend their ladies meetings. Waterlooville and Cowplain are the only two to take up the offer. Cyndy will attend Waterlooville on 18th April Linda McWilliam to confirm directly with Cyndy and Gill, Brenda and Jemima will attend Cowplain on a date to be determined.  
      7.3 The latest information received from Bowls England in relation to Data Protection was discussed. Gill will remove the contact list and Officers` details from the website consideration will be given for the inclusion of a members login section on the website. Gill will prepare an `Opt In` form for Captains and Secretaries to sign which will be retained on file.  
  8   Competition Secretary`s Report  
      8.1 Brenda proposed that the competition entry fees should be raised to 2 for entries in the Singles, Pairs, Triples, Fours and Unbadged Singles; 4.50 for the 2 wood singles (which includes rink fees), and 10 for the Club Challenge. The proposal was seconded by Jemima Meaden and all agreed. The increase will take effect from 2019 and the entry form amended on the website  
  9   Match Secretary`s Report  
      9.1 Lesley said Swindon touring team had turned down the offer of a match on the 15th July at Milton Park. Gill asked Jemima if we could still use that day for a one day event.  
      9.2 Lesley has received the friendlies sheet from Forton.  
      9.3 Correspondence was received from Crablands confirming this year`s friendly and the return match on the 5th July 2019.  
      9.4 The outstanding friendly for this year has not yet been finalised.      
      9.5 No further information has been received regarding coach hire. Gill asked Lesley to book a coach through Emsworth Travel for the away match at Pelhams on the 23rd April. This will be the only friendly requiring a coach this year. Pauline will liaise with Sandra Briggs to attend Victory, collect the money and sell stickers. Pauline will do the same at Palmerston. Brenda will officiate at Pelhams.  
      9.6 Team selection will take place at Palmerston at 2pm on Monday 9th April.      
  10   Any Other Business  
      10.1 Jemima asked if ladies who have progressed to the County could wear their County blazers to the P&D WBA Luncheon. Following a general discussion the committee agreed that the event should remain in whites the P&D WBA colour. If ladies did not have a white blazer there is no problem with them wearing a white cardigan or jumper. County badges may be sewn on the white blazers if desired.  
      10.2 Cyndy said that Rule 11.2.3 was ambiguous and asked for it to be reworded. As the wording was exactly the same and there was no change in its meaning it is unnecessary to make it a proposal at the next AGM. Gill will amend the website accordingly.  
      10.3 Cyndy asked if jeans could be worn for league matches and competitions. The constitution allows for jeans. It was agreed that the jeans should not have studs thereon and must have a full leg width. Skinny jeans are unacceptable.  
      10.4 Daphne suggested that as ladies were finding in increasingly difficul to buy white blazer the P&D WBA could consider replacing the present cloth badge with metal badges so that they may be pinned on their shirts, etc. The Committee agreed and Gill will reearch distributors.  
      10.5 It was agreed white will be worn by the Committee for the Annual General Meeting and `special` meetings. Whites will be worn on 12th March at the Executive Meeting as Life Vice President Jean Ashdown will be presented with her gift.  
  11   Date of Next Meeting              
      Monday 6th August 2018 at 10am.  
                         
                         
                         
  PORTMOUTH & DISTRICT WOMEN`S BOWLING ASSOCIATION  
                         
  Minutes of Officers Meeting  
  Monday, 6th August 2018  
                         
  Present   Name   Office   Present   Name   Office  
  P   Gillian May   President Acting Secretary League Secretary   P   Brenda Clay   Competition Secretary  
  P   Jemima Meaden   Vice President   A   Lesley Howell   Match Secretary  
  P   Pauline Olden   Treasurer   P   Daphne Nicholls   Co-opted Member  
  P   Cyndy Goldacre   Co-oped Member              
                         
  1   President                  
      President Gill opened the meetng and thanked everyone for coming  
  2   Apologies                  
      No apologies were received  
  3   Minutes of Previous Meeting  
      Minutes of meeting held on 27th February 2018 were accepted as a true record  
      Proposed by: Pauline Olden  
      Seconded By: Jemima Meaden  
  4   Matters arising from the Previous Minutes  
      Item 4. There is stll no further development with regard to Clanfield Bowing Club.  
      Item 10.4 Gill said workload has prevented her from researching distributors for a metal badge to replace the present cloth badge.  
  5   Secretary`s Report  
      5.1 Calendar revised for 2019  
      Gill, Brenda and Julie Greenwood met to revise the 2019 calendar to ensure dates were freed up where possible and avoid clashes with County commitments and the following amendments were made -  
      5.1.1 With the exception of Thursday 16th May 2019 all league matches will be played on Tuesdays.  
      5.1.2 The Unbadged Singles competition will be discontinued because some of the ladies will have received their badge before the finals take place.  
      5.1.3 The Club Challenge competition will be played at weekends.      
      5.1.4 The P&D semi-finals and finals will be played between Tuesday 27th August - Thursday 29th August with Friday 30th being a spare day. This will enable ladies - who have not entered competitions because their club tours fell on the same week - to enter the competitions in the future.  
      5.1.5 Jemima has selected Wednesday 24th July 2019 for her President`s Day.  
      5.2 Pat Duckworth Memorial Day  
      5.2.1 The event to be renamed Pat Duckworth Trophy  
      5.2.2 As Pembroke Gardens has the facilities to cater for large numbers in diverse weather conditions they have agreed to host the event every year. Crofton had offered their club but to accommodate their invitation the day would have to start later and the present restricted parking would have been addressed using the Church car park incurring a non-obligatory donation. Gill explained her reservations to Sue Whyld who was understanding and agreed it should remain at Pembroke Gardens.  
      5.3 One Day Event on 27th July - update  
      Gill said she was disappointed to cancel the Round Robin event booked at Milton Park on the 27th July due to the extremely hot weather, but was sure she had made the right decision. The event, which is to be named Gill May Trophy, will take place on Friday 26th July 2019. Cyndy will ask Denmead`s committee if it could be held at her club.  
      5.4 President`s Package - update  
      5.4.1 As previously agreed with the Committee Gill has conducted a `dummy run and account` of the President`s Fund to establish its viability in the future. A current `dummy` balance sheet was distributed which shows how it works and although the payments of 465 (coasters) and 202.38 (pens) inflate the expenditure this year no such purchases will be required for three or four years. Despite this expenditure the balance sheet clearly demonstrates that the proceeds of the Club President`s fund contributions (to be increased to 1 next year), together with the income from friendlies and luncheon raffles, will adequately cover the annual expense of the Presidency, thus leaving the President`s only personal expenditure for President`s day, with a 2.50 per head contribution by the P&D WBA towards the catering - as previously agreed by the Committee.  
      5.4.2 Full details of the package will be discussed at the Executive meeting to encourage ladies to consider taking on the role of President.  
  6   Treasurer`s Report  
      6.1 Pauline presented the accounts. 6274.93 is in the Deposit Account and it was agreed that 1000 should be transferred from that account to the current account.  
      6.2 150 stickers are in stock no more will be required.  
      6.3 Online banking is up and running and the initial `P&D WBA` is now acceptable on cheques.  
      6.4 Pauline said she will be away for a few weeks and will leave signed cheques where appropropriate.  
      6.5 Gill said it is unnecessary to ask for the Committee`s agreement to transfer funds from one account to another.  
       
  7   League Secretary`s Report  
      7.1 Gill said she was considering moving two teams down from the B League to bring the number of clubs in each league to 8. By reducing the number of games the leagues will be completed at the same time. At the present time A & D leagues finish in July and B & C in mid-August. It is understood that Alexandra Park may enter the league and Bedhampton re-enter.  
      7.2 Gill will share her thoughts with the affected clubs.    
  8   Competition Secretary`s Report  
      8.1 The competitions will be finished by 17th August. The Club Challenge final will be played at Purbrook Heath on 30th August 2018.  
  9   Match Secretary`s Report  
      9.1 35 names have been submitted for the friendly at Pembroke Gardens. It was agreed that Daphne and Jemima would assist Brenda to do the player selection.  
      9.2 It was agreed to try a top table at future friendlies to avoid Presidents sitting on different tables or asking a player to vacate her chair to accommodate a President. To be discussed with Jill Taylor, Pembroke Gardens.  
      9.3 Gill thanked Brenda for taking on the friendlies which has not been an easy task.  
  10   Annual General Meeting  
      10.1 Nomination of Officers: Gill said the nomination for Competition Secretary received from Julie Greenwood has been returned to Milton Park to be endorsed by the Committee as it is accepted practice for Officers of clubs to endorse nominations.  
      10.2 Proposals for amendment to the Constitution - see attached.  
  11   Date of Next Meeting              
      Monday 19th November 2018.  
                         
                         
                         
  PORTMOUTH & DISTRICT WOMEN`S BOWLING ASSOCIATION  
                         
  Minutes of Officers Meeting  
  Monday, 19th November 2018  
                         
  Present   Name   Office   Present   Name   Office  
  P   Gillian May   President Acting Secretary League Secretary   P   Brenda Clay   Competition Secretary  
  P   Jemima Meaden   Vice President   P   Daphne Nicholls   Co-opted Member  
  P   Cyndy Goldacre   Co-opted Member              
                         
  1   President                  
      President Gill opened the meeting and thanked everyone for coming.  
  2   Apologies                  
      No apologies were received  
  3   Minutes of Previous Meeting  
      Minutes of meeting held on 6th August 2018 were accepted as a true record  
      Proposed by: Cyndy Goldacre  
      Seconded by: Daphne Nicholls  
  4   Matters arising from the Previous Minutes  
      Item 4.4: There is no further information regarding Clanfield Bowling Club. Cyndy said there was a problem with land ownership and the clubhouse will have multiple use. It would appear its opening is a long way off  
      Item 4.10.4 Gill said that as there are 150 cloth badges in stock she felt we should not consider the purchase of metal badges at this time. It was agreed to revisit their purchase when present stocks get low.  
  5   Secretary`s Report  
      5.1 Luncheon Gill thanked Jemima, Cyndy and Daphne for the feedback following their visit to the Portsmouth Football Club. The club quoted 25+ VAT for a 2-course meal including tea/coffee before and following lunch. Following a general discussion it was agreed ladies would not want to pay 30for a 2-course meal and Gill said that if less than 100 attended the P&D WBA would be charged a room hire fee of 800. As he prices quoted by the Brookfield were more acceptable for both 2 course and 3 course meals wih free tea/coffee on arrival and after lunch it was agreed that we would return there for the luncheon on 8th October 2019. Gill to book it and request coffee/tea to be served from 11.30am to 12.15pm.  
      5.2 One Day Events  
      Pat Duckworth Trophy Wednesday 1st May at Pembroke Gardens  
      Gill May Trophy Friday 26th July at Milton Park  
      Anniversary Day Thursday 8th August at Crofton  
      Past President v President Thursday 27th June at Purbrook Heath  
      P&D Men v Ladies 3rd September venue to be discussed with Denmead as one of their members is the 2019 P&D President  
      Gill said the 2019 calendar is on the website. As the one day events are replacing the lost friendlies Gill is anxious to organise one more event with the possibility of Denmead hosting it.  
      She said the Anniversary Day was very successful and for the first time thank you cards were received from the ladies. She attributed the success to the nicer ambience of the clubhouse and availability of tables where ladies could join each other for lunch. It was agreed that entrants will be asked to bring their own food as opposed to the American tea.  
      These events will count towards P&D Badges in the same way as friendlies; e.g. 3 games (1 per year) and 10 consecutive games for the Friendship Badge.  
      5.3 Finances As the P&D will only comprise of league, competitions and one day events Gill said the finances could adequately be managed by the Secretary, particularly as all entry forms will be forwarded to her. The Deposit Account has been closed and it is anticipated that payments to markers, umpires, etc. will be made in cash. Gill said she felt it would be more beneficial to the committee not to have a full time Treasurer as there will be very little to do, but to have more co-opted members on board so they could contribute to the P&D from a club level. It was agreed that the finances would be managed by Gill in 2019 to enable the incoming Secretary to familiarise herself with her secretarial duties before transferring the finances over. This will avoid the need to change the present signatories etc.  
  6   League Secretary`s Report  
      Gill said the draws for A, B and C Leagues are published on the website. The draw for D League will be done at the end of the year. At the AGM she will remind the ladies that 2 clubs will go down from B and C at the end of next season.  
      David Wildman had contacted Gill to confirm whether the men could play on Tuesdays he was advised to check the P&D WBA website to establish the home games of the Milton Park ladies.  
      The ad hoc triples league will again be put to the ladies at the AGM.  
  7   Competition Secretary`s Report  
      Brenda said there was nothing to report she had received competition entries from Hayling Island.  
  8   Proposals for Amendment to the Rules  
      There were no changes to the Committee`s recommendations for the AGM.  
      9.1 Gill suggested that as the P&D WBA is only running leagues and competitions the AGM could be moved to February each year which was the process for 50 years before it was altered to accommodate committee member`s holidays. There would not be the need to have a meeting in March. The merits of such a move was discussed in full and the benefits perceived to be that everything relating to leagues, competitions and other events will be completed that would be presented to the attendees to take back to their clubs for their pre-season meeting. Further, AGMs may be attended by ladies other than club officers and it would be a good opportunity for them to get up to date information immediately prior to the start of the season.  
      It was agreed to move the AGM to February each year with the first one being on Monday 17th February 2020. Therefore, no AGM will take place in 2019.  
      It is not required for this proposal to be put to the club members, but a vote will take place of the Captains/Secretaries at the AGM on 3rd December.  
  9   Nominations for vacant Officers` posts  
      Gill was delighted and relieved to tell the meeting that Penny Hopkins has agreed to be the Secretary. As Northern Parade is closing the ladies will be joining Gas Social which will be registered as a mixed club. As this process is presently ongoing Penny has been nominated for the Secretary`s post by Gill and Brenda.  
      Carol Reynolds and Daphne Nichollas have agreed to be co-opted members.  
      Following a general discussion its was agreed the Committee should seek to co-opt members from different clubs each year to enable them to be aware of what the P&D committee does. Their input from club level would also be advantageous to the committee.  
  10   Any Other Business  
      Jemima asked if the friendlies would be re-introduced any time as she had received a number of complaints that they had been cancelled. It was pointed out that the decision by the Executive was not taken lightly and the friendlies would not be re-introduced.  
  11   Date of Next Meeting              
      Tuesday 26th February 2019