PORTSMOUTH & DISTRICT WOMEN`S BOWLING ASSOCIATION  
                         
  Minutes of Officers Meeting  
  Friday 4th August 2017  
                         
  Present   Name   Office   Present   Name   Office  
  P   Pauline Olden   President   P   Jean Ashdown   Treasureer  
  P   Gill May   Vice President League Secretary   P   Benda Clay   Competition Secretary  
  P   Daphne Nicholls   Past President   A   Janet Livingston   Assistant Secretary  
  A   Pat Duckworth   Secretary              
                         
  1   President                  
      President Pauline asked how Pat was getting on Gill updated the committee.  
  2   Apologies                  
      Apologies received from Pat Duckworth and Janet Livingston.  
  3   Minutes of Previous Meeting  
      Minutes of meeting held on 1st August 2016 were accepted as a true record  
      Proposed by: Gill May  
      Seconded by: Brenda Clay  
  4   Matters arising from the Previous Minutes  
      There were no matters arising from the Minutes  
  5   Secretary`s Report  
      5.1 Pat emailed the following: I must say a very big thank you to Gill for taking on this meeting in my place, she is a wonder, thank you. I have been a waste of space this year, please do your best to get a Secretary to replace me. I have not arranged any dates for next year, I was hoping we coud agree them at this meeting as when I am replaced, you as the next committee can do our own dates. They are usually a day back on the previous year but keeping in with the County. I have not got anything to report as I have not really been involved. I can only thank you all for all you have done to help Janet and I. Thank you.  
      5.2 New Club at Clanfield: It was noted the club will be operational next year. Gill said the men`s P&D had accepted their request to play in the P&D Leagues. As a similar request has not been received by the P&D WBA it was agreed that we should contact them to establish their interest.  
      5.3 Closure of Moneyfields: The normal process of one team going down from A to B and vice versa will take place. The A League will continue with 8 teams thereaafter.  
      5 4 Agendas: The content of the Agendas was discussed and it was agreed they could be circulated.  
  6   Treasurer`s Report  
      Jean has only just received the bank statement so was unable to give the Committee an account. Once she receives the monies from the final friendly, Anniversary Day and Luncheon she will be able to prepare a balance sheet. There is 6000+ in the account.  
  7   League Secretary`s Report  
      7.1 Off Green Etiquette: Gll is concerned the prevalence of men interfering in ladies league matches is increasing, and sited one particular incident. Pauline had also noticed it. Similarly there have been a number of complaints regarding noisy spectators supporting their club during league matches, which is very unfair to those playing against them.  
      7.2 Rescheduled league matches: It would appear one or two clubs are being difficult when rescheduling league matches. Understandably they wish to play their top players in all games, but when both sides are persistent it causes unnecessary delays to the game being played. It is felt the three date rule applied to competitions should also apply to leagues.  
      7.3 Score Cards: It was unanimously agreed that the P&D WBA should have its own score cards printed for leagues. The required number would be distributed to each club at the Spring Secretaries Meeting. The anticipated cost would be approximately 40 for 1000 cards - providing sufficient cards for two years.  
  8   Competition Secretary`s Report  
      Brenda reported that most of the competitions are nearing completion the last round by 17th August and preparations will be underway for finals week. She felt the Secretaries were not passing on information sent out by the Committee to their members, or putting notices up in their clubs.  
  9   Friendlies/Assistant Secretary`s Report  
      9.1 No report submitted by Janet.  
      9.2 Daphne said she felt it was unfair that ladies who are asked to play for the visiting team at a home game should have to pay 9 and buy a drink for their opponent, who is effectively a P&DWBA player and who has only paid a lower visitor fee.  
      9.3 It was agreed that a review of the procedures should take place once the new Assistant (Friendlies) Secretary has been established on the Committee.  
         
  10   Proposals for Amendment to the Rules  
      10.1 Proposals received from P&D WBA League Secretary: Following the removal of 11.2.4 and 11.2.5 Daphne asked for a rule to be inserted to clarify that only one substitute per competition should be used. Gill will add the following to the proposals sent out to the Secretaries:  
      Insert new rule: 11.2.4 If required the same named substitute must be used throughout the competition, including the semi-finals and finals.  
      The Committee agreed the remaining proposals submitted by Gill should be accepted.  
      10.2 Proposals received from Denmead Bowling Club:  
      (1) The Committee does not support this proposal as it would not be enforceable.  
      (2) The Committee does not support this proposal as it would inhibit the use of players in the rinks League, as the winners of the D League would not `go up`. Also it would not encourage bowlers to advance to the main league.  
      10.3 Proposals received from Waterlooville Bowling Club: The Committee does not support these proposals for the reasons given in 10.2.  
      10.4 Proposals received from Milton Park Ladies Bowling Club:  
      (1) The non-smoking proposal was already covered by the League Secretary.  
      (2) The reference to the Portsmouth Open was already covered by the League Secretary.  
      (3) The Committee does not support this proposal for the reasons given in 10.2.  
      The proposals will be submitted for consideration by the Club Secretaries at the Secretaries Meeting.  
  11   Nominations for vacant Officers` Posts  
      11.1 P&D WBA Assistant Secretary              
      Lesley Howell has been nominated by Bridgemary Bowls Club. Lesley has previous experience in organising friendlies. There are no other nominations for this post.  
      Gill suggested that if neither Pat nor Janet were able to organise the friendly at Swindon Lesley should be invited to carry out the appropriate duties. She had approached Lesley who said she would be more than happy to do so. It would be advantgeous in that Lesley would be in a position to negotiate a reciprocal friendly for next year. The Committee agreed.  
      11.2 P&D WBA Secretary  
      As no nominations have been received the Committee decided it did not want to appoint a Secretary at this time and asked Gill if she woud be prepared to be a Caretaker Secretary for next year. As most of the information required by clubs is on the website and Lesley will not require the assistance of the Secretary Gill accepted. It was felt that rather than cope with filling three vacancies at the same time it would (a) give Pauline and Lesley the opportunity to get well established in their posts; and (b) enable job descriptions to be drawn up to unravel the present `overlapping` of duties before a new Secretary is appointed at the end of next year.  
      It was also agreed that two members of the Council should be co-opted on to the Committee.  
  12   Any Other Business  
      12.1 Anniversary Day  
      Gill has received 39 entries so far and more are anticipated. She is confident the minimum number of 48 will be achieved and the Day will definitely go ahead. If that number is not reached a bowls drive which is similar will take place. She enquired of Pat why College Park is used as it was thought that the parking difficulty with City clubs deterred ladies from entering. The Committee agreed to look at other venues. The check list of supplies was adjusted.  
      12.2 Brenda said that the closing date for the P&D WBA competitions entries is being changed to 1st January, in line with the County.  
      12.3 To augment P&D WBA funds Brenda suggested the Committee should reconsider having a raffle at the Luncheon. Brenda and Gill said they were happy to purchase the items.  
                         
                         
  PORTSMOUTH & DISTRICT WOMEN`S BOWLING ASSOCIATION  
                         
  Minutes of Officers Meeting  
  Monday 20th November 2017  
                         
  Present   Name   Office   Present   Name   Office  
  P   Pauline Olden   President   P   Brenda Clay   Competition Secretary  
  P   Gill May   Vice President League Secretary   P   Janet Livingston   Assistant Secretary  
  P   Daphne Nicholls   Past President   P   Lesley Howell   Co-opted Match Secretary  
  P   Jean Ashdown   Treasurer              
                         
  1   President                  
      President Pauline opened the meeting and thanked everyone for coming.  
  2   Apologies                  
      No apologies were received.  
  3   Minutes of Previous Meeting  
      Minutes of meeting held on 4th August 2017 were accepted as a true record  
      Proposed by: Daphne Nicholls  
      Seconded by: Brenda Clay  
  4   Matters arising from the Previous Minutes  
      President Pauline asked if Clanfield Bowling Club had been invited to join the P&D WBA. Gill said the club was experiencing problems and it would be unlikedly they will be open in time.  
  5   Secretary`s Report  
      5.1 Luncheon: It was agreed that the number attending the Luncheon and Presentation of Trophies would be limited to 130 with priority given to trophy winners. Clubs would be restricted to numbers and a waiting list established.  
      5.1.1 Trophy boxes would be placed by the winner`s club table prior to the meal being served and signed for during the 10 minute interval. Trophies wil be displayed at the top end of the dining room so the presenation is visible to all. The raffle will be situated within the bar area.  
      5.1.2 To ensure the event runs smoothly it was suggested that the ladies Captain, or her representative, should receive a league trophy alone, as opposed to the whole team leaving their table.  
    5.2 Relocation of Anniversary Day: As College Park is not affiliated to the P&D WBA it was agreed that clubs who are should receive the financial benefit of hiring out their club facilities for Anniversary Day. Parking at College Park was also a problem. The tradition of the event being played on grass will be maintained. Clubs will be invited to advise the P&DWBA what their rental fee for the day would be, but clubs with an artificial surface, limited parking and clubhouse accommodation will not be invited to tender.  
      5.2.1 Purbrook Heath set a charge of 100 and it was agreed the 2018 event would take place there on Tuesday 28th August. As Purbrook is north of the City it was suggested that the following year the event would take place in the south.  
      5.3 One Day Events: As the number of friendlies is diminishing it was agreed to fill the void wih one day events - one at the beginning of the season, similar to Anniversary Day - and a Triples Tournament mid-season for ladies who are not playing in P&D WBA and County Competitions. Gill said she would provide a rophy and the final of the competition could be played during the Finals Week in September.  
      5.4 Payment for lunches by Officers: All Officers were happy to continue paying for their lunches at the P&D WBA Luncheon and Presentation of Trophies. The Association will continue to pay for their guests.  
      5.5 Dress code for Officers at the AGM: Gill said she felt that we should wear our whites for the AGM as it is the President`s last official duty before handing over to the incoming President. In civilian clothes she cannot wear the chain of office with any credibility. Further it is the last opportunity for Jean and Janet before they stand down from the Committee. All agreed.  
      5.6 Friendlies:  
      5.6.1 Spider: It was agreed that a Spider competition would precede home friendlies, Past Presidents Day and Mens v Ladies when it is the turn of the P&D WBA, the proceeds of which will go to the President`s Charity. President Pauline to supply the spider.  
      5.6.2 Coaches: It was agreed the following options should be explored to replace the costly use of coaches when travelling to away friendlies.  
      5.6.2.1 President Pauline will enquire of I Can Go in Lee on Solent about the use of People Carriers with the capacity to carry more than 12 people.  
      5.6.2.2 The use of private vehicles as now applies at County friendlies  
      5.6.2.3 Remain with coach travel and increase the subscription to 10 for home and away friendlies.  
  6   Treasurer`s Report  
      Lesley will audit the account on the 21st November. Once audited Gill will circulate a copy of the account to the Secretaries prior to the AGM. President Pauline will ask Sandy Ramsden (Lee on Solent), who has financial experience, if she would agree to be one of the account examiners for 2018.  
  7   League Secretary`s Report  
      Gill said the closure of Moneyfields has given her the opportunity to reduce the number of teams in A League from 9 to 8, and to achieve this Bedhampton will be relegated to the B. League. She has spoken to Bedhampton who have accepted the situation. Leagues B and C will have 9 teams and the D league will be determined on receipt of the clubs` entries. Ideally all the Leagues would be better placed with 8 teams.  
  8   Competition Secretary`s Report  
      Brenda said she was beginning to receive he competition entry forms from the clubs.  
  9   Friendlies/Assistant Secretary`s Report  
      Lesley said she had booked the friendlies, but she would be unavailable for the first friendly which is away at Pelham. Brenda will officiate and Pauline will arrange collection of the subscriptions.  
  10   Proposals for Amendment to the Rules  
      As per the previous Minutes in preparation for the AGM.  
  11   Nominations for vacant Officers` Posts  
      As per the previous Minutes in preparation for the AGM.  
  12   Any Other Business  
      12.1 Daphne asked if another co-opted member to the Committee was to be appointed, as previously discussed. Gill suggested that we wait until after the AGM and then give it further consideration. Jemima will be Vice President which will help with numbers. All agreed.  
      12.2 Gill asked if the small porcelain blue and yellow vases could be disposed of as they had not been used for some years. All agreed.